Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hagi!



Today I went to Hagi with Miura sensei, the nurse at my school hehehe and her friend Shiho, whos an english teacher at Korens special needs school and a Friend of Miura, everyone knows everyone in the country you know how it is.

It was SO blooody hot today oh man im gonna die.. if I live through this summer ill be super happy. Lucky we had Miuras sweet Audi car, she loves her european art, travel and toys. It was a long drive, so we stopped for a break. I went to the toilet and there was like an old man in one of the toilets making the weeirest sounds, he was becoming really angry and I swear he said "shiit!" but ... thats english? I dunno, I was scared though, enough to bolt out of there quick fast! Moving along,

When we got to Hagi, we went to an art gallery first, the art was great, it was very quiet though, a nice orderly fashion to move around and look at the artworks, had arrows and everything.. After we had lunch at this amazing restaurant! They turned a tradition japanese home into a restaurant, had the most wonderful atmosphere, twinkly music in the background and everything, I felt like I was in a movie. (photos at restuarant above)

From there we went around and had a look at traditional Japanese houses from about 200years ago, between the meishi and edo periods, and the style of architecture they used back then. I REALLY enjoyed this, It was the same style house my former host families grandfather had. Where it's all tatami mats, big sliding doors so you can open the whole place up and see all the way from one end of the house to the other, I love it. Also except for the doorways (which I naturally had to duck under) parts of the house like the kitchen had these amazingly beautiful high ceilings, with a web of pillars and big slabs of wood. So beautiful! I was jumping around taking pictures left right and centre. I am so building a house like this in the future in Australia. Or using some of the designs.


4 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

EEEEE! Your bathroom experience is kinda gross! But at least the English language has contributed to helping an old man give that old turd his all! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

9:47 AM  
Blogger K said...

Hagi is great hey. I like your pictures.

That guy in the toilet sounds scary. Why are old people in this country so scary?

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom - Love the photos of the house - and your sense of architecture - old people are scary because they have lost this??

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics of architecture - they understand sense of place.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home