Monday, September 04, 2006

Sports Day!

On Saturday Gotsu High school had its Sports festival. This along with Thursday and Fridays Culture festival made last week a busy week. The weather was perfect, everyone was energetic. I did a race which involved three legged running, blowing up a balloon and and having my female partener popping it by sitting on it. Other games included relays and racing, giving little flags to kindergarden children, aim was to give the most out. Other games also like girls fighting over a giant bamboo stick trying to get it to their side of the field using any technique, three on three. This game can get a bit violent, dragging, hairpulling etc. One girl was taken off on a stretcher. Never in Australia, never. haha.

I was amazed at the way everyone was so involved. We built, the teachers and students, we built the stands that seated 400 of us. We made giant artworks for each team - the four seasons. We had in the afternoon each team perform a dance, they were amazing. The students also made the clothes worn in the dance. I couldnt be in it because I was in Osaka and the practice was everyday for the last two weeks after school until 7pm. Like I have said, they do things properly. We would be lucky back in my highschool in Brisbane if even half the school turned up to the Athletics day, letalone build the freakin venue.

Woo I have photos. Some of the festival. One with two friends Hideki and Ai! Also one of me with my host dad one of the greatest guys on this planet.



6 Comments:

Blogger Lena said...

sports day is my favourite day at school all year. those games are so dangerous but so so funny, one of my students got punched in the face in one of the games looked so sore ! That dragging the bamboo poll game is one of the best I saw one girl being dragged along the ground for about 30 metres she wouldnt let go ! take one for the team and all!! hope u enjoyed it

1:01 PM  
Blogger Gemma said...

Hi Tom! Its Gem here, you had your sports day already? Hamako's is on Fri. Culture Fest starts tomorrow. I like your blog btw!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

convince ashley to start a blog go on u know u want to ....

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi tom!
the weather looks faaaab. i'm so jealous.
anyway! everything is cool and smooth here is brisbane. what a great great city. great. exciting. no really, people miss you!
keep well and just keep having a really good time
byee! xoxo

9:45 PM  
Blogger K said...

Ahhh sports day...I loved sports day.
Did you have to run? Did you run with the heavy sack thing?
How are things?

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

japanese sports days rock hey! ours was at the beginning of the year. had the bunkasai a couple of weeks ago-4000ppl walked through the gates in just over 8 hours! rock on tom!~~lea anne

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home